Appealing Your Assessment
2022 Maine Township Appeal Dates and Calendar
The 2022 Triennial Reassessment is the first year in a three-year cycle. Maine Township residents have the right to file an appeal from September 7, 2022, through October 7, 2022. To ensure that all supporting documents are processed timely with the Cook County Assessor, Maine Township will be processing appeals through Tuesday, October 4, 2022. Click this button to view the most recent assessment calendar.
Important Information About the 2022 Triennial Reassessment
The Cook County Assessor Fritz Kaegi has mailed the 2022 tax year Triennial Reassessment notices to all residents in Maine Township. This notice should reflect the estimated Fair Market Value of your home based on a statistical model that uses real estate market data to estimate the value of homes that haven’t sold. This model is used to predict values for all residential properties.
When Do I File an Appeal?
If you feel your assessment is incorrect, you have the right to file an appeal. The most common reasons to file an appeal are:
- Lack of Uniformity – “like type” of properties (similar square footage, age, and construction), in the same neighborhood and property class, are assessed less.
- Overvaluation – if you purchased a home in a recent arms’ length (open market) sale and the purchase price is less than your current 2022 Estimated Market Value or you have had an appraisal you may file an appeal. Supporting documentation, such as a Settlement Statement from the closing within the last three years or a USPAP-compliant appraisal within the last 18 months can be used to support an appeal.
- Major Error in Property Description – If an error such as incorrect square footage, classification, or an error that may affect the market value, an appeal should be filed. Minor errors such as the number of bedrooms or bathrooms may not indicate an incorrect assessment.
How do I file an Appeal?
You have several different options for residential property:
- The Maine Township Assessor’s Office can assist you. The best way to reach us is to call us at 224-257-4830. Please leave a message with your name, address, telephone number, PIN, Email, and a short message on what you are requesting. Please do not call more than once. We will not be able to return all calls immediately, and repeat requests will simply slow down the process. An appointment is required to see a Maine Township Deputy.
- You can file an appeal online yourself. Here are the guidelines: How to file an appeal or
- You have the right to hire an attorney if you wish.
As a homeowner of a condominium, you have the right to file an appeal however it is often better for the property tax appeal to be filed as a group on behalf of all units to ensure uniformity and often has better results. Maine Township is not given individual assessments for condominiums.
Click on the above map to see how each neighborhood has been defined by the Cook County Assessor.