Frequently Asked Questions About Assessor

What if I did not receive an exemption on my Second Installment Property Tax Bill to which I was entitled?

You can apply for a Certificate of Error at our office or the County Assessor’s Office and receive a refund on the extra taxes you paid for the most recent three years. If you have not yet paid this year’s bill, come to the Maine Township Assessor’s Office to receive assistance.

If I appeal my assessment and receive a reduction, when will it appear on my tax bill?

It will appear on the Second Installment Property Tax Bill for the year in which you appealed.

Is there any charge for appealing my assessment at Maine Township?

No. Our office will help you file an appeal.

How often can I appeal my property tax assessment?

You can appeal your assessment every year at the Cook County Assessor’s Office, the Cook County Board of Review, and the Property Tax Appeal Board (PTAB). If you wish to file an appeal, you must do so by filing during the times set aside by the individual entities.

Where do I gather evidence for my assessment appeal?

You can gather evidence here at the Maine Township Assessor’s Office or on the Cook County Assessor’s web site.

Do I need an attorney to file an appeal?

No, an attorney is not needed to file a residential appeal at the Assessor’s Office or the Cook County Board of Review. Rules vary for non-residential property.

I received a reduction in my assessment from an appeal but it is not reflected on my First Installment Property Tax Bill. Why?

In general, any reduction made on your assessment will be reflected on your Second Installment Tax Bill.