We are in need of adult mentors for our award-winning mentoring program offered in partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Time commitment is only 3 hours per month. Mentors work with youth ages 8-12 in our on-site evening mentoring program that meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month from 6-7:30 PM in a structured group setting at the District 63 Family Resource Center (9000 Capitol Drive, Des Plaines), which is next door to the Maine Township Town Hall building.
Volunteers are matched with a child of the same gender. Activities are pre-planned by an experienced facilitator and take place in a group setting. Meetings consist of a combination of one-on-one time and group activities focused on the social and emotional development of youth. A small contribution of your time can change the course of a child’s life. Volunteers must meet the following criteria to be matched with a child in our program:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Meet residency criteria of being a US citizen for at least 1 year, legal resident for at least 2 years, or having a student/workers visa for at least 2 years
- Be will to commit to a minimum of a 1 year relationship
- Be willing to commit to attend, at a minimum, 80% of program sessions
- Be willing to allow BBBS to conduct a thorough criminal background check and public domain search
- Be willing to disclose and discuss current and previous medical and mental health conditions
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out the application below or contact Anne at 847-297-2510 x272 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.